Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday Thoughts

Thursday Thoughts

I'm doing my first link-up - Yayz!  Before I launched my blog, I started reading a bunch of them to try and figure out how to do this thing right.  Ramblings of a Suburban Mom is one of my favorites.  She's a stay-at-home-mom (like me!), she has two little boys (like me!), and she's addicted to subscription boxes (like me!  Twinsies!).  She is, however, way advanced from where I am.  So if you want to see what a dedicated, successful blogger looks like, go check her out!  Because as you all know, I am an amateur.  A beautiful amateur with impeccable spelling and grammar, but still.  That only gets you so far.

Thursday Thoughts is a random compilation of my musings for the day.  And I have plenty.

- We FINALLY have a diagnosis for what's wrong with my car (the sensible, family, car-seat-equipped car).  For quite awhile it's been making a wub-wub-wub noise while I drive, which seemed to emanate from right under my feet.  And when I accelerate, it increases to a WUBBITY-WUBBITY-WUBBITY that makes it impossible to hear either 1) the radio or 2) the kids.  The verdict?  It's a wheel bearing.  And apparently, I have done the exact wrong thing in waiting to get it fixed.  Sorry, Mr. Mechanic, but I kinda had to wait until our tax refund arrived to fund major car repairs.  Thankfully, it's not as major as it could be. But I am under strict instructions to not drive the car any more than absolutely necessary.  And the part won't be in until Monday, so guess who has two thumbs and no weekend plans now?  THIS GIRL (picture me pointing at my chest with both thumbs).

- I love that the boys' school is still very involved with extracurricular activities like art and music.  In fact, for the next few weeks until Spring Break, the art and music teachers have been given the run of the school and have come up with an amazing array of activities.  One day, the kids have been asked to dress like rock stars.  Another day, parents are invited to come join their kids for either Art or Music class.  My personal favorite is the day they're encouraged to wear different patterns and dress as wildly as possible.  I'm already planning the outfits!  Oh, and they're doing a fundraiser that seems to be getting popular recently - a Soup Kitchen.  However, instead of feeding the homeless, they're inviting families to school one night, and serving us all soup in handmade bowls from local potteries for $10 a person.  We get to keep the bowls as a reminder to serve others, and the proceeds go to a local food pantry.  I LOVE THIS.  And yes, we'll be attending.

-  Dragon needs an attitude adjustment.  When he and Knight watch TV, I have them take turns picking what to watch.  Netflix is actually really awesome for this, because our "Recently Watched" column is just one big blob of kids' shows.  Even Dragon can point to the show he wants, even if he can't pronounce it.  And if it's his turn, he's fine.  But if he doesn't approve of Knight's selection, he throws a royal fit.  He just figured out where the Power button is on the TV and will try to turn it off rather than watch Mythbusters or Dora the Explorer.  Needless to say, he's been spending a lot of time in the corner.

- Of course, if I talk about Dragon, you know I'm going to talk about Knight.  And I am SO PROUD of him lately!  The poor kid seems to have inherited my ADD.  He has trouble paying attention in class, staying focused on tasks, and knowing when to be quiet and listen.  He recently had a pretty bad week, and as much as I hate having to be the Evil Queen, he lost all privileges for TV, games, and the iPad all weekend, and spent much of it in his room.  It seems to have worked, because for the past two weeks, he has come home with smiley faces in his agenda every day! (FYI, a smiley face is good.  A note is BAD)  So, good job, baby!  Thank you for making Mommy NOT dread the next parent-teacher conference!

This is Thursday, and these are my Thoughts.  What's on your mind?

Love, Leigh

6 comments:

  1. Your boys school sound great!

    Our recently watched Netflix is a huge pile of kid stuff too! So many shows I never even knew existed.

    And thank you for the kind words. I need to get some of your grammar and spelling skills to rub off on me!

    Ramblings of a Suburban Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their school is amazing! And your grammar/spelling skills are great! I have run across blogs before that look like the author wrote the whole thing in text-speak.

      And really, Netflix, do we NEED this many versions of Godzilla?

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blog! Maybe do a Thursday Thoughts every week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as Jennifer does the link-up, I will happily do Thursday thoughts! And thanks so much for reading! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the soup kitchen idea! That's awesome.

    Children's arts and craft are simply the best. We did a few Kiwi crate stuff and I loved it more than ever.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Jen @ IndigoandViolet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My mom is an art teacher, so we loooove arts and crafts here!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I will be writing back soon, so check back later for a reply!